2002 Tax Help Archives  

Unemployment Compensation

This is archived information that pertains only to the 2002 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

Unemployment compensation generally includes any amounts received under the unemployment compensation laws of the United States, or of a state. It includes state unemployment insurance benefits and benefits paid to you by a state or the District of Columbia from the Federal Unemployment Trust Fund. It also includes railroad unemployment compensation benefits, but not worker's compensation.

Supplemental unemployment benefits received from a company financed fund are not considered unemployment compensation for this purpose. These benefits are fully taxable as wages, and are reported on Form W-2 (PDF).

Unemployment benefits from a private fund to which you voluntarily contribute are taxable only if the amounts you receive are more than your total payments into the fund. This taxable amount is not unemployment compensation; it is reported as other income on Form 1040 (PDF).

If you received unemployment compensation during the year, you should receive Form 1099G (PDF) showing the amount you were paid. Any unemployment compensation received during 2002 must be included in your income.

If you received unemployment compensation, you may be required to make estimated tax payments. However, you can choose to have federal income tax withheld. For more information, refer to Form W-4V (PDF), Voluntary Withholding Request. For more information on estimated tax, refer to Tax Topic 355.

Tax Topics & FAQs | 2002 Tax Year Archives | Tax Help Archives | Home